About the Club

Located in Georgetown at the intersection of M Street & Wisconsin Avenue, the City Tavern Club has long been a center of activity in the city. The clubhouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and the City Tavern Club operates as a nonprofit organization with the mission of preserving one of the oldest Federal period buildings and the sole remaining founding-era tavern in Washington, D.C.

Originally constructed in 1796, the City Tavern functioned as both an inn and a major hub of civic life in the area during the early Federal period. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and other Founding Fathers frequented the Tavern during this time. On June 6, 1800, President John Adams was honored at a banquet in the Long Room of the Tavern where he offered the toast:

“Georgetown - May its prosperity equal the ardent enterprise of its inhabitants, and the felicity of their situation.”


Throughout the 19th century, the Tavern changed hands many times and was known by many names until it was converted for retail use in 1898. By 1959, the building had fallen into a severe state of disrepair and was scheduled for demolition to make way for a parking lot. A group of Georgetowners happened upon the Tavern and recognized the Federal period architecture. They realized that the building was a landmark of significant historical value.  The City Tavern Association was formed to restore the old tavern and preserve its authenticity and the building was reopened in 1962 as a private social club. Today the City Tavern continues the traditions set forth by the Founding Fathers and is a second home to many distinguished members of Washington’s political and social elite.